New Nintendo 3DS XL
Even now I can still remember my first Nintendo hand-held portable Gaming system and Nintendo has come a long way from its roots in the hand-held market and thus the introduction of the New Nintendo 3DS XL. The New Nintendo 3Ds XL as its been so called by Nintendo is a revision of the original Nintendo 3DS that as always with these revisions promises improvements over the originals and upgrades in some areas over the first version. This means great things if you are new to the Nintendo 3DS world but if you have the original it may not seem much of an upgrade over the initial edition if you are thinking of upgrading but you can make your own decisions.
1. Improved processing power for faster loading Games and overall smoother performance.
2. Faster digital downloads.
3. Improved Browsing which means that surfing the internet has become much faster over the previous model.
4. C stick for improved controls that’s located on the left just above the normal face buttons. In games it offers various abilities such as rotating the camera for improved 360 field of view.
5. New shoulder buttons which are located right next to the original L and R shoulder buttons.
6. Built in Amiibo and NFC support for Games like Super Smash Bros.
7. Face tracing 3D which tracks your face and gives a better 3D experience which works wonderfully well in comparison to the original which is a definite improvement.
Overall the new edition of the New Nintendo 3DS XL feels like the original in many ways giving you a familiar feeling with subtle changes in some areas and addition of new buttons and featured as outlined above in others. The screen is pretty much unchanged and matched the original Nintendo 3DS in every way except for a slight improvement in colors on the main screen which seem to look much better now as the colors pop out at you a bit.
The battery life has improved as well which in real world usage will not mean a radical improvement but you will be able to easily survive a 5 hour Gaming session without it prematurely dying on you. This translates to better gaming as you can play longer on a single charge over the original.
A cool feature that has been added now is the ability of the New Nintendo 3DS XL to auto adjust the brightness of the screen according to the amount of ambient light in the room which naturally will save battery life and improve your gaming experience in various environments. You can also choose to disable this feature at any time you want.
The system comes with a 4 GB MicroSD card installed within the unit but to get to it will require quite the hassle compared to the older model in situations that require that you upgrade it. This can be really frustrating and is not convenient to the user of the system.
The back and front of the system are also very glossy which looks good but this also causes the issues where the entire thing becomes one big fingerprint magnet picking up dust and fingerprint.In my case sweaty palms are a big issue as things can really get messy and the glossy surface shows this up more than ever.
Overall the New Nintendo 3DS XL is a great device and really worth it if this is a new system for you, however if you have the original then you can definitely do without this one for now unless you must have the latest version by personal choice. It looks almost identical to the original except for refinements in button layout and improvements in features which aims to justify the upgrade but you will have to make the final decision as to if you really need the new featured that this system offers.